Who we are
KRIN International (“us”, “we”, or “our”) provides various “Services” intended to mitigate current and future harsh conditions in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea (DPRK, or North Korea). Services include, but are not limited to:
- Operating a web site (https://krin.info);
- Administering various Conferences and special events;
- Facilitating volunteer teams;
- Referrals to other like-minded organizations
This document informs you of our policies regarding the collection, use and disclosure of personal data when you use our Service and the choices you have to control that data.
By using the Services, you agree to the collection
and use of information in accordance with this policy.
We collect and save data about you (“Personal Information” or “PI”):
- That is needed to provide Services to you;
- That enables us to satisfy our primary operational mandate to send volunteers into North Korea when it becomes possible.
We do not collect any other PI, and any data about you that we may have on file remains your personal property, and will be deleted upon your request.
During your visit to our web site, we collect information required for you to navigate our site in compliance with US, Canadian, EU and other privacy laws. Except for any explicit consents you may give us, we do not store this navigation information after you leave the site. (For details, please see the section on “Web Technology” below.)
Except as required by law, we will never sell, share or give any personal information (PI) about you to any third party without your express consent.
- Service: Service is the https://krin.info website operated by KRIN International
- Personal Data: Personal Data means data about a living individual who can be identified from those data (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession).
- Usage Data: Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, the duration of a page visit).
- Cookies: Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
- Data Processors (or Service Providers): Data Processor (or Service Provider) means any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. We may use the services of various Service Providers in order to process your data more effectively.
- Data Subject (or User): Data Subject is any living individual who is using our Service and is the subject of Personal Data.
3) Information Collection and Use
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
3.1) Types of Data Collected
While using our Service, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Data”). Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address: The email address must be a valid email address – it will be used as part of the account valildation process.
- Name: You may choose to provide only your first name instead of your full name if you wish. However, we will require your full name in order to gain access to some sections of the web site, such as Conference Registration.
- Display name (“handle” or “nickname”) – herinafter “Handle”: Your Handle may be anything you wish, subject only to obvious guidelines about decency and uniqueness. Your Display Name will be used instead of your real name when you make comments or posts to various pages on this site.
- Phone number: Your phone number is not required to register as a web site user, but is required to obtain some Services (such as Conference Registration).
- Address: Your mailing address is not required to register as a web site user, but is required to obtain some Services (such as Conference Registration).
- Password: Your password must satisfy requirements for a “strong” password, as explained on the account registration page.
We may use your Personal Data to contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by following the unsubscribe link or instructions provided in any email we send or by contacting us.
We will never publish personal data on our web site or anywhere else without your express consent.
We may also collect information on how the Service is accessed and used (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking & Cookies Data
Cookies are files with a small amount of data which may include an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent to your browser from a website and stored on your device. Other tracking technologies are also used such as beacons, tags and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyse our Service.
You can instruct your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, if you do not accept cookies, you may not be able to use some portions of our Service.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Service.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings.
- Security Cookies. We use Security Cookies for security purposes.
“Do Not Track” Signals (California Online Protection Act — CalOPPA)
“Do Not Track” (DNT) is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
We support DNT to the extent that our Content Management System (Joomla!) supports DNT. Additional support is not provided.
3.2) Use of Data
KRIN International uses the collected data for various purposes:
- To provide and maintain our Service;
- To notify you about changes to our Service;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so;
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Service;
- To monitor the usage of our Service;
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues;
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, Services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information;
- To provide customer support;
- With your consent, our customer support representatives may sign in to your KRIN account, if appropriate, to help troubleshoot and resolve your issue.
3.3) Retention of Data
KRIN International will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Service, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
3.4) Transfer of Data
Your information, including Personal Data, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Data, to the United States and process it there.
3.5) Disclosure of Data
Disclosure for Law Enforcement
Under certain circumstances, KRIN International may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
KRIN International may disclose your Personal Data in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- To comply with a legal obligation
- To protect and defend the rights or property of KRIN International
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Service
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Service or the public
- To protect against legal liability
3.6) Security of Data
The security of your data is critical to us. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
4) Legal Basis and Protection
4.1) Purpose and Legal Grounds for Collecting PII
(a) KRIN collects your email address and user password because you use these to sign in to your account. The legal ground for collecting your email address for this purpose is based on KRIN’s legitimate interest in protecting your account’s security and the security of other data on the KRIN web site.
(b) KRIN stores your contact data in order to send you information related to KRIN activities, conferences, and material changes to our Privacy Practices. You may opt out of receiving such notices as described below.
(c) If you provide your opt-in consent to receiving marketing information from KRIN, KRIN will also process your email address for the purpose of sending you marketing information about KRIN events, conferences, opportunities, and other matters directly related to the KRIN mission. The legal ground for processing your email address for this purpose is your consent. You may withdraw your consent at any time as described in the section Your Rights. (KRIN does not share your PII with other parties or affiliates.)
(d) KRIN also processes your email address to associate it with your KRIN account when you interact with our staff or representatives. The legal ground for this processing is our legitimate interest in providing quality customer support.
(e) We collect your name, mailing address and telephone number in order to process your order and fulfill your purchase. Our legal ground for collecting and processing this data is (1) performance of a contract and (2) our legitimate interest in protecting KRIN and our customers from attempts to engage in fraudulent transactions. (This information is not permanently stored by KRIN, but may be transferred to a third party for the express purpose of fulfilling a transaction on your behalf.)
(e) We collect other personal information such as skill sets, experience, language proficiency, etc., in order to assemble appropriate relief teams for deployment to North Korea. Our legal ground for this collection is your express consent to collect such data.
4.2) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
KRIN International may process your Personal Data because:
- We need to perform a contract with you
- You have given us permission to do so
- The processing is in our legitimate interests and it is not overridden by your rights
- For payment processing purposes
- To comply with the law
Your Data Protection Rights
If you reside in the European Union, you have the right under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to request from KRIN access to and rectification or erasure of your personal data, data portability, restriction of processing of your personal data, the right to object to processing of your personal data, and the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. If you reside outside of the European Union, you may have similar rights under your local laws.
To request access to or rectification, portability or erasure of your personal data, or to delete your KRIN account, or if you wish to be informed about what Personal Data we hold about you and if you want it to be removed from our systems, please contact our Data Protection Officer (see contact information at the end of this document).
Under the GDPR, in certain circumstances, you have the following data protection rights:
- The right to access, update or delete the information we have on you. Whenever made possible, you can access, update or request deletion of your Personal Data directly within your account settings section (also known as your “User Profile”). If you are unable to perform these actions yourself, please contact us to assist you.
- The right of rectification. You have the right to have your information rectified if that information is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to object. You have the right to object to our processing of your Personal Data.
- The right of restriction. You have the right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to be provided with a copy of the information we have on you in a structured, machine-readable and commonly used format.
- The right to withdraw consent. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time where KRIN International relied on your consent to process your personal information.
- The right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your Personal Data. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the European Economic Area (EEA);
- The right to delete your KRIN account (and all associated data).
We will ask you to verify your identity before responding to data protection requests.
In general, we will make reasonable efforts to provide GDPR rights to other users of the web site, regardless of location or jurisdiction.
5) Service Providers
KRIN uses cloud services from third parties such as Ionos (our web hosting service) to store data and to send emails.
KRIN also may use services such as EventBrite and commercial credit card gateways.
In no case does KRIN provide any data other than the minimum needed to provide the specific individualized Service (such as a credit card transaction or an event registration).
We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service (“Service Providers”), provide the Service on our behalf, perform Service-related Services or assist us in analysing how our Service is used.
These third parties have access to your Personal Data only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
We may provide paid products and/or services within the Service. In that case, we use third-party services for payment processing (e.g. payment processors).
The payment processors we work with are:
- PayPal / Braintree
7) Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
8) Children’s Privacy
Our Service does not address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”).
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of 18. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Child has provided us with Personal Data, please contact us. If we become aware that we have collected Personal Data from children without verification of parental consent, we take steps to remove that information from our servers.
10) Contact Us
- By email: [email protected]
- By visiting this page on our website: https://krin.info
- By mail: P.O. Box 142, Peyton, CO 80831, United States
- Our office: 13596 Front St, Peyton, CO 80831, United States
If you have questions about your data protection rights, you may contact our Data Protection Officer at [email protected]
Our website address is: https://krin.info.